Before a work out: Carbohydrates provide fuel for your body and are very important before an event. The longer your body is working, the more carbs you need to keep it going.
Here are some suggestions for pre-event fuel: Carbs are the fuel to keep you going and protein is what makes the right amino acids available for your muscles to exercise. Before a workout, focus mainly on carbs and a little protein.
- A medium banana (27 g carb 1.3 g pro) with T almond butter (3 g carb 3 g pro)
- 8 oz Plain Greek yogurt (8 g carb 24 g pro) with 1 c berries(20 g carb)
- 1 cup Oatmeal (27 g carb) and 1 cup berries (20 g carb) add collagen to boost protein and aid joint care.
- A med Apple (25 g carb) and T almond butter (3 g carb 3 g pro)
- 1/2 cup nuts and raisins equal mix (35 g carb, 8 g pro)
- Smoothie (unsweetened almond milk, fruit, Perfect Protein powder)
- Chia pudding (unsweetened almond milk, fruit, nuts)
- My favorite green drink add collagen to boost protein
- here are some pre-workout snacks by Dr. Axe
- SEE BELOW FOR MY FAVORITE PRODUCTS
After the event: Getting protein and carbs into your child is vital post event. It is a good idea to remember the 3 Rs after a work out: Refuel (carbohydrate), Rehydrate (water), and Repair (protein). Your body uses stored energy (glycogen) in your muscles to power through your workout or game, so after that workout, you need to replenish the nutrients lost.
As soon as possible post workout, get carbs and protein into your child. The carbohydrate will give their muscles the ability to replenish the glycogen they just lost and the protein helps their muscles rebuild and repair. It is best to eat within 15-30 minutes of completing an intense event and aim for no more than 1 hour.
Post-workout meals include:
A post-workout smoothie is a great option. It will provide carbs, protein and fluid helping to re-hydrate the body. If you make a smoothie before the event and put it in an insulated stainless steel cup, it will still be cold and fresh when you are done with your event.
- Post-workout recovery smoothie (smoothie made with unsweetened almond milk and fruit, see recipes link). A scoop of Perfect Protein powder will provide about 5 gms carb and 16 gms protein and is highly bio-available for quick muscle repair. (gluten free)
- Turkey on a whole-grain wrap with veggies
- 8 oz Plain Greek yogurt(8 g carb 24 g pro) with 1 c berries(20 g carb)
- Epic bars
- boiled egg (6 gms protein), 1 cup mixed berries (20 g carb)
- An Ultra Protein bar will provide about 20 gms of carb and protein (gluten free)
Here are my must have products for athletes:
Before a workout and during a workout: Endura Optimizer® | Metagenics is used during intense, prolonged training or racing. For best results, alternate Endura Optimizer with Endura® rehydration formula to avoid dehydration and to optimize energy levels. Also, use it For Recovery (to reduce muscle catabolism after prolonged intense exercise and speed recovery).
If you’re not already following me, you can like & follow my Facebook page to see my updates and subscribe to the blog to receive an email when I post (NO spam EVER, promise!). I share many delicious recipes and articles on Facebook. Thanks for reading! I love to hear your stories and comments. Thanks for sharing!